Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!

Thread: Lincoln Quads

Thanks
    Thanked 1,726 Times in 1,030 Posts

Lincoln Quads

Register to remove this advertisement
    Article is a few days old, and I don't think it has been posted anywhere else on the board, so here it is.

Sounds like they are leaning towards tearing down the Quads. Lived there for a year when I was a student. Can understand that they are outdated and expensive to repair/replace, but still would be sad to see them go.

https://www.tribstar.com/news/local_...f9d28f272.html

Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 869 Posts
    Man, when I was in school, that was THE place everyone wanted to live. A/C, you know. Today's students are just coddled...

Legend
    Thanks
    Closed and demolished shouldn't be two separate options, but one. You can't leave it just sitting there empty when you consider the location on campus. Why have such a huge eyesore when you've got everything else looking as great as it ever has? Also, seems like something built 50 years ago should last longer.
    Fear the Trees!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,509 Times in 3,299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bent20 View Post
    Closed and demolished shouldn't be two separate options, but one. You can't leave it just sitting there empty when you consider the location on campus. Why have such a huge eyesore when you've got everything else looking as great as it ever has? Also, seems like something built 50 years ago should last longer.
    At one point it was discussed to give these to fraternities and let them renovate them. I believe that ultimately fell though because of the structural issues with them -- they were poorly designed. IIRC, if the stairwells ever came out, the actual building could implode -- it's been 6-7 years since the conversations but I think that was the gist. They are held together by a couple metal bolts. They were also damn near impossible to renovate on the interior, too.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 794 Posts
    Oh how I miss having railroad tracks right outside my window at the Quad. So many fond memories from living there and so many great stories.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    At one point it was discussed to give these to fraternities and let them renovate them. I believe that ultimately fell though because of the structural issues with them -- they were poorly designed. IIRC, if the stairwells ever came out, the actual building could implode -- it's been 6-7 years since the conversations but I think that was the gist. They are held together by a couple metal bolts. They were also damn near impossible to renovate on the interior, too.
    A good friend of mine used to work at an engineering firm in Terre Haute back in the 90's. ISU hired their firm to do a study/evaluation of Lincoln Quad and they found way back then that the incessant vibration of the railroad had rendered the north half of the building structurally unsound. In the 90's. Yikes!

I, too, have many fond memories of the "No Tell Motel," but they probably need to be razed and then the space used for either a replacement dorm or something else altogether.

Bent is right, you'd think the building would last more than 50 years. But I figure when designing it, they forgot to take into account all the trains...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 794 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyTreeFan View Post
    A good friend of mine used to work at an engineering firm in Terre Haute back in the 90's. ISU hired their firm to do a study/evaluation of Lincoln Quad and they found way back then that the incessant vibration of the railroad had rendered the north half of the building structurally unsound. In the 90's. Yikes!

I, too, have many fond memories of the "No Tell Motel," but they probably need to be razed and then the space used for either a replacement dorm or something else altogether.

Bent is right, you'd think the building would last more than 50 years. But I figure when designing it, they forgot to take into account all the trains...
    I'm glad I only know about this now. I lived in the north half right up against the railroad tracks. That coupled with the parties we would have in there, I'm apparently lucky to be alive.