Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Horizon League will expand, IPFW to announce move Tuesday

Register to remove this advertisement
    Article says they will expand soon, no mention of which team(s) will be added, but I suspect either IUPUI or IPFW, or both, have to be on the list. Both those schools would KILL to get out of the far flung summit league and be able to bus all their teams to their competitions. It would save them a lot of $$ for sure.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/baske...3fa0d60e6.html
    Last edited by ISUCC; 08-05-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    Avoid the Play In Game!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,747 Times in 3,458 Posts
    I know I'm going to get killed for this, but if it were a football league I'd actually advocate for us to move there.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'd agree with that too, it'd be a step down, but we'd probably see better success with FB, men's and women's BB.

Most HL message board fans seem to be advocating for NKU, Belmont, and Murray State. None of those teams are moving to the HL in my opinion. They have it good where they are. The two schools (of 3, if they want to go to 12 schools) they need to add are IUPUI and IPFW. Those are perfect geographical fits.
    Avoid the Play In Game!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ISUCC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,802 Times in 1,075 Posts
    Horizon and NKU rumors have been around for awhile. League really blew it when Butler left by being completely flat footed and not adding anyone then. Many thought they would go after NKU and then try to expand down to Belmont but it didn't happen.

Would be surprised if they added two teams just because it would create an odd number again. If they can't add three, they would better served adding just IUPUI. Jags are better positioned for success than IPFW.

Thanks
    Step down? nooooooooooo way.. Just cause it was a shitty year for mbb, we did finish 3rd you know.. FB is back and the track and cc does a outstanding in the mvc why leave??? THe womens sports are getting better why have the attidute we get a busted lip this year, go play with the little guys next year??
    Indiana State University

The real University of Indiana

A member of the Official "Old Farts Club"
    Past member of the "Mickey Mouse Club and Captin Jack"
    "They walk among us"

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nwi stater For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 837 Posts
    Im not going to kill you for it, but I dont agree with it.. We are competing just fine in the MVC (we are 4th and almost 3rd in the 2014-15 MVC all sports standings at the moment), and I enjoy being apart of a higher quality league. The MVC basketball is much more enjoyable to attend and holds more prestige nationwide. I realize that we dont make the tourney as often and I see that more of an ISU issue, not so much an MVC issue.. WSU is on another planet funding wise, but the others arent big time finanical programs. I would have argued that Illinois schools are much bigger, but they have been in the tank lately and the Illinois government is cutting funding to colleges big time this upcoming year, that will trickle down to athletic budgets.

We'd win more games but I dont think we'd dominate the HL enough to warrant the move down. You tell me that we're going to make the tourney 8 out of 10 years with 25+ wins a year?? Sign me up.... otherwise Im fine with where we're at currently.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Southgrad07 For This Useful Post:

Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 672 Posts
    We struggle to compete in the MVC because of poor finances. I don't know how long we can keep it up but every year our fans bitch when we collapse at the end of the season and then puff out their chests and boast about being in the MVC. Makes no sense to me.
    Fear the Trees!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bent20 For This Useful Post:

All-American
    Thanks
    OVC would be a better conference for us to join!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreinTexas For This Useful Post:

Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 672 Posts
    People can bash the OVC, but at least they do it right. All but one of their schools is publically funded and all but three of their teams play football in the same conference (unlike the MVC where we have NDSU dominating in football but not playing basketball in conference, and WSU doing the same with basketball).
    Fear the Trees!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,747 Times in 3,458 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreinTexas View Post
    OVC would be a better conference for us to join!
    You're correct. The OVC would be a better fit over the Horizon since it is a unified football league.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!