Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!

View Poll Results: What should ISU do with regard to football facilities?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Build a new stadium on campus

16 64.00%
  • Build a new stadium where Memorial Stadium now stands

2 8.00%
  • Do cosmetic and amenity updates to the current Memorial Stadiu

4 16.00%
  • Make no changes to what we have

3 12.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 876 Posts

Poll: Stadium preferences

Register to remove this advertisement
    Since football season is right around the corner, and we're talking about our lovely home, Memorial Stadium, I thought it might be fun to have a poll of what you all might want to see in the way of improvements/renovations/new construction for our football team.

There are a number of people who think that the park around Memorial Stadium is too good to leave. There are others who think that the stadium should be on campus. Some think that we shouldn't spend any money on football at all.

Where do you fall. Give us your reasoning in comments!

Thanks
    I have to admit to having a tough time deciding between a new, on campus stadium, and a new stadium constructed at the current site. An on campus stadium opens up all kinds of options for showcasing campus that ISU has never had before. Tailgating and a weekly "tent city" on the campus could engage more students (although I'm not totally sure that's even possible anymore). Pep rallies at the fountain, the band marching through campus playing our fight songs, it could be a really cool atmosphere. As long as we win consistently.

However, the current site is so doggone perfect for tailgating and parking that it would be hard to lose. If we were to build new out there, though, we should start charging for parking. That's a revenue stream that we're totally ignoring at this point. But you just cannot beat the atmosphere out there. Unfortunately, it's 2.5 miles from campus. That automatically dampens student involvement.

I think there are probably more potential positives to building new on campus than to remaining at our current site. And it doesn't have to be an $80,000,000 facility, either. Mercer built a beautiful new stadium a couple years ago for $14M. It seats 10,200. That would work for us. Various other facilities (such as practice facilities for basketball, offices and meeting rooms for all other sports, etc.) could be incorporated into a stadium, as well. The ability to showcase campus, to have events surrounding football that we do not currently have the ability to do, and to contribute to the Riverscape project to beautify the riverfront, all are aspects in favor of building on campus.

So that's my thinking.

Thanks
    I appreciate the poll and my vote is build one on campus, by the river.

BUT...we don't have the money for that, so it's a pipe dream.
    NO EXCUSES

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeTop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeTop View Post
    I appreciate the poll and my vote is build one on campus, by the river.

BUT...we don't have the money for that, so it's a pipe dream.
    I appreciate the sentiment, but I figure discussion is fun. And you never know what you might see come out of ISU in the future...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyTreeFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,546 Times in 3,325 Posts
    If they're going to do it, it'll likely only be done once.

So my vote would be for an on-campus dome. People quit coming when it starts to get cold outside. I remember back to the Miles game where the playoffs were on the line against Illinois State. It was freezing and our crowd was nonexistent. They pounded us. It sucked.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Starter
    Thanks
    I’d love to see an on-campus stadium.

In 2010 I attended an alumni affair featuring our administration and several board of trustee members.
    One of the topics being discussed was a new stadium.
    At that time, it was noted a new stadium wouldn’t be built for at least the next 8-10 years.
    Does that mean we would start looking into the matter in 2018 - 2020?
    My question now is, have there been any stadium discussions in the last nine years?
    Or, was it simply we don’t have that kind of money so no one has given it any thought?
    Is anyone keeping an eye on the situation to see if there might be any opportunity sooner than later?
    Has anyone been given the task to actually study the situation and determine exactly what it would take?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    If they're going to do it, it'll likely only be done once.

So my vote would be for an on-campus dome. People quit coming when it starts to get cold outside. I remember back to the Miles game where the playoffs were on the line against Illinois State. It was freezing and our crowd was nonexistent. They pounded us. It sucked.
    If we’re going to build new, then ISU would be derelict in their duty if they don’t at least explore the domed stadium concept. There’s a reason Lucas Oil Stadium is an indoor facility - no one in Indiana wants to watch football outside in the cold weather. Unless you’re in South Bend. And it could be used for so much more than football!

But I’m sure the “ISU doesn’t do things like that” crowd would win out. Without even investigating the idea.

Starter
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyTreeFan View Post
    If we’re going to build new, then ISU would be derelict in their duty if they don’t at least explore the domed stadium concept. There’s a reason Lucas Oil Stadium is an indoor facility - no one in Indiana wants to watch football outside in the cold weather. Unless you’re in South Bend. And it could be used for so much more than football!

But I’m sure the “ISU doesn’t do things like that” crowd would win out. Without even investigating the idea.
    Isn’t there some kind of federal funding available if a dome is built and it can also be used as an emergency community shelter?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WOZ View Post
    Isn’t there some kind of federal funding available if a dome is built and it can also be used as an emergency community shelter?
    As I understand it, FEMA could pay up to 20% of the construction costs if the dome doubles as a community disaster shelter.

Sixth Man
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    And we wonder why the federal deficit is 963 Billion this year with a good economy.