Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Register to remove this advertisement
    SSOM, I'm pretty sure I heard it first from you just how good Odum was going to be for ISU. If that is the case, your post about Hankins carries a lot of weight.
    Last edited by Bob Evans; 03-29-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Evans View Post
    SSOM, I'm pretty sure I heard it first from you just how good Odum was going to be for ISU. If that is the case, your post about Hankins carries a lot of weight.
    Thanks for the kind words - sincerly! I was able to watch Odum throughout his highschool career and then I watched about a month of his Freshman season at ISU to know he could help that team - they just needed a leader and good PG play - he gave them just that. It was the perfect secenerio for him to succeed.

To be truthful I really don't know much about Hankins. I've watched him closely in warm-ups and I've watched him closely at a handful of practices I've been to. Here is my take:

- Lawerence North products usually make a good transition to D1.

- He's got a little Brenton Scott to his game. In other words, he's not afraid to shoot. That's been an observation of people closer to the program than myself.

- Looks to me like a + + athlete.

- Needs to stay healthy. He's struggled with that since he got here.

- He's going to chuck the hell out of the 3 ball.

- Doesn't lack confidence.

What I don't know about him:

- How well he defends or if he wants to defend like Lansing will require. I'd imagine that Lansing will have a pretty low tolerance for mistakes with him in general especially on the D side of the ball.

- How well does he handle the ball? I'd imagine - pretty decent but haven't seen him against ball pressure or going downhill.

- How well does he see the floor? No idea if he can share it. Last years team shared the ball pretty well and we didn't kick it around. A big part of that is because JB and CWill both of which are gone.
    Roll Timber!

MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    Thanks for the kind words - sincerly! I was able to watch Odum throughout his highschool career and then I watched about a month of his Freshman season at ISU to know he could help that team - they just needed a leader and good PG play - he gave them just that. It was the perfect secenerio for him to succeed.

To be truthful I really don't know much about Hankins. I've watched him closely in warm-ups and I've watched him closely at a handful of practices I've been to. Here is my take:

- Lawerence North products usually make a good transition to D1.

- He's got a little Brenton Scott to his game. In other words, he's not afraid to shoot. That's been an observation of people closer to the program than myself.

- Looks to me like a + + athlete.

- Needs to stay healthy. He's struggled with that since he got here.

- He's going to chuck the hell out of the 3 ball.

- Doesn't lack confidence.

What I don't know about him:

- How well he defends or if he wants to defend like Lansing will require. I'd imagine that Lansing will have a pretty low tolerance for mistakes with him in general especially on the D side of the ball.

- How well does he handle the ball? I'd imagine - pretty decent but haven't seen him against ball pressure or going downhill.

- How well does he see the floor? No idea if he can share it. Last years team shared the ball pretty well and we didn't kick it around. A big part of that is because JB and CWill both of which are gone.
    Those last two idk's are the things he needs to work on the most. Given what he is going to be asked to do next yr, come in 5-10 mins and play d and be ready to shoot it's all good. To be a good player in the league he has to round out his game more.

Legend
    I've always thought handle is the most overlooked skill. Maybe everyone else sees it and doesn't talk about it. But I've tried to watch it more closely. Examples on our team are that the handle has been a negative for Key and a positive for LaRavia.
    Most high major players handle the ball very well and some mid-majors are somewhat limited.
    I feel like that was one of JO's most important skill.

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sycamorebacker View Post
    I've always thought handle is the most overlooked skill. Maybe everyone else sees it and doesn't talk about it. But I've tried to watch it more closely. Examples on our team are that the handle has been a negative for Key and a positive for LaRavia.
    Most high major players handle the ball very well and some mid-majors are somewhat limited.
    I feel like that was one of JO's most important skill.
    I think for evaluating any facet of any players game is very subjective.

The examples you provided are proof of this fact. I think Key handles the ball pretty well - he might not be a + ball handler but he's definalty not a liability with the ball in his hands. Part of being a good ball handler is making the right decision - knowing when to push the ball via the dribble and when the push the ball via the pass. Positioning on the floor while in transition.

For his position LaRavia handles it pretty well - but he also has a tendency to over dribble or be too confident in his ability to dribble and he tries to do too much. I'm not sure I'd consider LaRavia a + ball handler either. For his position I'd probably consider him a + passer based on what I saw last year. He sees the floor pretty darn well.
    Roll Timber!

Legend
    I think for evaluating any facet of any players game is very subjective.

The examples you provided are proof of this fact. I think Key handles the ball pretty well - he might not be a + ball handler but he's definalty not a liability with the ball in his hands. Part of being a good ball handler is making the right decision - knowing when to push the ball via the dribble and when the push the ball via the pass. Positioning on the floor while in transition.

For his position LaRavia handles it pretty well - but he also has a tendency to over dribble or be too confident in his ability to dribble and he tries to do too much. I'm not sure I'd consider LaRavia a + ball handler either. For his position I'd probably consider him a + passer based on what I saw last year. He sees the floor pretty darn well.
    You're right, it is subjective. But I think Key has an average handle for a guard and it limits him from being much, much better. While considering that he has the upper body of a forward. And I think what makes JL so versatile (as a mid major F) is his handle. Of course his other skills, including MOTOR, are helpful.
    Last edited by sycamorebacker; Yesterday at 02:53 PM.

Legend

Register to remove this advertisement

I only saw him about twice in HS. I watched him on TV get 38 against Carmel; and, in person, I saw him beat Ben Davis by playing them 1 on 5 in the OT. That convinced me he was a good signing for us.
    You called it right.

And, of course, you remember how impressed I was with LaRavia the first time I saw him. But that was an easy call, especially with our history on signing forwards with size.
    Last edited by sycamorebacker; Yesterday at 02:56 PM.