Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 738 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    I just watched the highlights, good stuff. Sure looks like we have the pieces for a nice team.

All-Conference
    Thanks
    Do NOT want to appear too negative here -- I watched the Dayton game and was impressed. We stayed tough, the new guys looked like they could elevate our program in the coming years, and I think we have a chance to be pretty darn good this year.
    But I've seen this movie several times over the past several years ----- play really well early against really good teams ….beating some and looking great even in defeat to others. Even if we were to beat Louisville (which I think we have a shot at doing) it would tell us nothing about what will happen in February and March. Sorry, that's just reality for Lansing's teams. And unless Greg has really figured out what's been the cause for our late season failures AND MOST IMPORTANTLY has developed a true strategy to avoid it this year (not just "we know we've got to get better -- the guys realize we have to take it up a notch"), well then we'll be playing on Thursday and/or losing our last game in a blow out.
    I'll be watching and rooting this Wednesday for Sycamores and be screaming in Banker's Life next Sunday vs Ball State.
    On a side note check my positive comment in the Football posts.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Westbadenboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Westbadenboy View Post
    Do NOT want to appear too negative here -- I watched the Dayton game and was impressed. We stayed tough, the new guys looked like they could elevate our program in the coming years, and I think we have a chance to be pretty darn good this year.
    But I've seen this movie several times over the past several years ----- play really well early against really good teams ….beating some and looking great even in defeat to others. Even if we were to beat Louisville (which I think we have a shot at doing) it would tell us nothing about what will happen in February and March. Sorry, that's just reality for Lansing's teams. And unless Greg has really figured out what's been the cause for our late season failures AND MOST IMPORTANTLY has developed a true strategy to avoid it this year (not just "we know we've got to get better -- the guys realize we have to take it up a notch"), well then we'll be playing on Thursday and/or losing our last game in a blow out.
    I'll be watching and rooting this Wednesday for Sycamores and be screaming in Banker's Life next Sunday vs Ball State.
    On a side note check my positive comment in the Football posts.
    THIS is exactly what my thoughts were after I skimmed thru the Dayton game on replay, We looked good, as we have many of the past 9 years, but I will withhold judgement and getting excited for the season until I see what happens in January and February. If we can, for once, avoid our annual February collapse, then we may finally have a chance to be excited about ISU basketball again. Until then I will continue to enjoy our moral victories as best as possible.
    Make State Great Again

Legend
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCC View Post
    THIS is exactly what my thoughts were after I skimmed thru the Dayton game on replay, We looked good, as we have many of the past 9 years, but I will withhold judgement and getting excited for the season until I see what happens in January and February. If we can, for once, avoid our annual February collapse, then we may finally have a chance to be excited about ISU basketball again. Until then I will continue to enjoy our moral victories as best as possible.
    Even our best teams struggled at times. I don't worry about that until it happens.
    Last edited by sycamorebacker; 11-12-2019 at 08:29 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sycamorebacker For This Useful Post:

Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCC View Post
    Feel the same. Glad people are excited though. It has me optimistic and upbeat about the season.
    Fear the Trees!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 824 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    I know this game has come and gone and we're looking ahead to Louisville tonight, but I've been meaning to post a few thoughts and observations from the game:

- I was very happy to see us limit the turnovers, at least somewhat, and also out-rebound a far more athletic and bigger opponent. Those were two bugaboos from the last couple of years, and if we can do better in those departments we will go a long way.

- Tre Williams and LaRavia are the real deals. I don't necessarily care who starts the games, but those two will see big minutes throughout the year and will be finishing many games. Tre was rough though most of the first half, but he really settled down and played well down the stretch. As for LaRavia...he's going to be first-team all MVC by the time he's a Junior (or earlier). I already see it.

- We still need to do a better job sharing the basketball. We scored a lot on the fast break and in transition, which is good, but in our halfcourt sets there's still not enough ball movement. We're not going to win many games assisting on only 10 baskets.