Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Legend
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    I will continue to overstate it because I think it’s the #1 determining factor or how successful a Lansing coached team can or will be... After years of watching his teams I’m convinced of it. (Not because of the under 60pts statistic)

And as it relates to this team specifically is that we haven’t yet shown that we’re going consistently play good D. So regardless of the schedule it’s impossible for it to have been overstated. You can’t just say - well the #’s are a lie because we’ve played good team. No... Playing a good schedule can’t be the excuse for bad D.

1. We foul too much. Last game NDSU shot 33 3 point shots. They weren’t forcing us to foul. LaRavia, TWilliams, Agbo and a few others haven’t learned to play D without fouling. As gifted as LaRavia is on O he’s got a long way to go on D... He’s a starter. He’s not good enough on that end of the floor.

2. We get lost on screens and lost in transition. Go back and watch the game if you wish - all things considered a good D performance. We got lost on D multiple pos. in the second half alone. Breakdowns against any other team (conference play for instance) and we get torched! Then after the game we have a conversation about effort etc etc when really we just didn’t lock in and play basic fundamental D.

3. Dribble drive is an issue - Barnes, Washington, LaRavia and a few others have and will continue to get killed on dribble drive. Allowing them to get in the paint opens up soooo damn much and puts so much pressure on our help D which is meh.

Soooo until we put multiple good defensive performances together I’m going to continue to stress it and Lansing should as well. Holding NDSU to under 60 don’t mean shit if you can’t go out to Wright State and put another effort like that together. Lansing and the bench can yell “KILL” all they want when we’ve gotten 3+ consecutive stops - but it can’t be a game by game thing. It has to be the identity of his team or I unequivocally assure you that we will not be anything better than a .500 middle of the road MVC team.
    Why is it that we both see the same thing and yet you want to argue about what we saw? Can't you participate in a discussion?

You like to point our defensive mistakes, but I watched all of the ACC/Big 10 challenge. Some of the very best teams in the country. Do you know how many times I saw a layup or a player standing alone under the basket for a dunk or a wide open 3?
    Last edited by sycamorebacker; 12-05-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,425 Times in 2,006 Posts

[November 30, 2019] Indiana State (2-4) vs Missouri-St. Louis (5-1)

Quote Originally Posted by sycamorebacker View Post
    ""Playing a good schedule canít be the excuse for bad D.""

Didn't you run track? Wasn't it harder to beat another runner that was faster than you than to beat another runner that was slower?

If you are saying our D isn't perfect, then I agree.

Just remember, we don't see games with a score of 14-10. Good offense scores on good defense and team offense is designed to break down basic team defensive principles. The whole game is a function of how well you execute on both ends and the physical and mental speed of the players.
    This is good - I enjoy this most others probaby wonít lol. Track is a lot different at the college level than say watching a NCAA National Championship meet or Olympic meet on TV. Generally speaking when you run track against better competition (faster runners than you) it usually leads to you running a faster time... You want to be in the fast heat of a track meet as apposed to a slower heat because it means youíre going to run a fast time. Place matters - but only in a conference meet when points are attached to your place. Everyone wants to get 1st but itís not a Nascar race - winning doesnít pay that much.

So this example works against you when talking about it as a statistical comparison. Statistically speaking most runners are going to put up better numbers (in the form of splits or times) against better competition. Unless they shit the bed or donít have the ability to run faster, throw further, jump higher etc. but most guys/gals can reach deep and have a high enough ceiling that makes higher competition = better statistics/times! Or look at it like this - if Iím running a meet at Louisville, Iowa State, IU, PU, Tennessee a few of the places Iíve raced I almost ALWAYS put up better statistics than say running at EIU (sorry nlk) or heck even at home @ ISU on my own track... Fewer distractions on the road.

Obviously Louisville and Dayton are going to really hurt the looks of most of your defensive statistics - I understand that! But the numbers donít always lie. Some of the numbers are adjusted as was explained above by Booker and some do tell a story. If youíre going to use the ďstrong scheduleĒ excuse for bad D numbers then youíre going to find yourself defending a bad defensive basketball team... Simple as that. Lansingís success depends on it and unfortunately when his teams get the living shit kicked out of them itís not the scoring that is the problem - itís inconsistency and our inability or unwillingness to have an identity on that side of the ball. Heís got a few guys that just donít take pride in that or havenít learned how to defend yet. Blame AAU - blame player development - blame video games - blame recruiting...
    Last edited by SycamoreStateofMind; 12-05-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    Roll Timber!

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,425 Times in 2,006 Posts

[November 30, 2019] Indiana State (2-4) vs Missouri-St. Louis (5-1)

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by sycamorebacker View Post
    Why is it that we both see the same thing and yet you want to argue about what we saw? Can't you participate in a discussion?

You like to point our defensive mistakes, but I watched all of the ACC/Big 10 challenge. Some of the very best teams in the country. Do you know how many times I saw a layup or a player standing alone under the basket for a dunk or a wide open 3?
    Iím not arguing with you at all - I found this conversation to be very freaking calm and normal until you tell me ďyou want to argue about what we sawĒ... I thought this was a solid discussion about defense - maybe I thought wrong? You tell me?

You say donít read into the D numbers - I say Iím tried of spending 2 hours or sometimes 4+ hours going to Indy or STL to watch a Lansing team not play D. Heís shown if he can get his guys to follow a scout and lock the F down that he can beat anyone in the country but theyíve gotta do it on D.
    Roll Timber!