Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,652 Times in 3,394 Posts

Some analytics through 7 games...

Register to remove this advertisement
    Team Statistics:

Our Pyth W/L is 2.6 - 4.4 so we've actually slightly overachieved based on our cumulative stats.

Our differentials are -3.1 ppg, -2.6 rpg and -0.7 topg.

In terms of FGA, both we and opponents are at 60/40 2FGA/3FGA splits. However, in terms of where scoring comes from, we're at 40/38/22 2/3/FT compared to 49/28/23 for opponents.

Individual Statistics:

We have 6 players shooting 50% of better from 2FG:

DWash leads at 66.7%, Agbo 62.5%, Neese and LaRavia at 57.1%, Tre at 51.7% and Barnes at 50%

We have 4 players shooting 40% of better from 3FG with at least 4 attempts:

CWill at 100%, Neese at 47.1%, Barnes at 43.2% and Key at 42.4%

Looking at some outlier numbers,

Agbo has a FTr of 87.5%, Key is at 55.4% and Bacote is at 40.9%. Nobody else is above 30%. Free throw rate is the ratio of free throws to field goal attempts -- essentially means the player is likely to draw contact and get a whistle. Devonte Brown was a guy that was really good in the area in the past. Agbo's number is a bit skewed with only 46 minutes played but insanely high so I included it.

Building on that, Agbo has a PPS (point per shot) value of 2.1. Again, skewed because he only has 8 attempts, but he's got 11 FTA on 8 FGA so that is giving him that 2.1 PPS value. I'd continue to feed him if he can establish low post presence until that number dips below 2 as a good PPS value is 1.5 or higher in the 3 Point Era. Guys with 1.5+ PPS values right now are Neese at 1.6, CWill at 1.5, Key at 1.6 and DWash at 1.7.

JB is currently sitting at a 2.4 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. I'm pretty sure this is the best he's had at any point of his career that I can recall. Among folks that have played significant minutes, the next closest is CWill at 1.7-to-1.

Tre Williams has a TO% of 29.2%. TO% is the estimated number of turnovers a player will commit per 100 plays. Only 2 other Sycamores are above 20% with Bacote at 24.8% and Agbo at 23.8%. Probably doesn't make sense to have him the entry point into the post until he can handle the ball and make better decisions.

The most efficient offensive player award right now goes to Cooper Neese. He has a 50% FG, 57.1% 2FG, 47.1% 3FG, 67.3% TS%, 66.7% EFG% with a sub 40% USG%.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,425 Times in 2,006 Posts
    Cooper Neese has been really solid so far this season - that is not a big surprise he's playing at a pretty high level.

Quick observation on Agbo - when he gets to the line he's actually got a pretty decent touch. He's just got to give us a good couple stretches a game. I'm not surprised by it - but damn he's gotten whistled for some bull shit calls this year already.
    Roll Timber!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,652 Times in 3,394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    Cooper Neese has been really solid so far this season - that is not a big surprise he's playing at a pretty high level.

Quick observation on Agbo - when he gets to the line he's actually got a pretty decent touch. He's just got to give us a good couple stretches a game. I'm not surprised by it - but damn he's gotten whistled for some bull shit calls this year already.
    It's the bull in a china shop theory. Every time they zoomed in on him in the UMSL game next to one of their guys, I audibly chuckled. It was akin to seeing a pro football player lined up next to a HS basketball player. Anytime there is contact in a situation like that, those bum refs are going to have sympathy for the little kid getting knocked into the third row by this grown ass man.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 834 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    The analytics confirm a couple of things that I've commented on during the game threads or in the past:

- Agbo is the only low post player we have that has any semblance of footwork on the block. The insistence on feeding the post and playing inside-out only seems to work with Agbo is in the game, which isn't all that much. I think Tre Williams could and will develop a better post game as his career progresses, but outside of a few hook shots that fall he doesn't really have the offensive arsenal. Agbo is so goddamn big most opposing players can't help but just foul the crap out of him. Go look at the UMSL game and watch his layup from the block after being triple team. That guy is light on his feet for being so big.

- Bacote was a turnover machine at Maryland Eastern Shore. He's a very capable player otherwise, but if he's going to be our only true PG he has to limit the turnovers. So far in his career he has not shown the ability to do that. He has a lot of work to put in regarding ball control.

- Cooper Neese is scoring the ball like we all thought he could. He's added that nice little mid-range fade-away off of the bounce that has allowed him to find other ways to score other than spot-up threes. If he can continue to score off the dribble like he has, he's going to be seriously good.