Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,425 Times in 2,006 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by HOOPSFAN View Post
    Probably time to sign Lansing up for another 5 years of mediocrity for beating a crippled Horizon league team huh?
    5 Years? Anything short of a rolling contract is a mistake.
    Roll Timber!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,391 Times in 822 Posts
    It is ok to both be excited about the winning streak and the arc of the current groups development and yet still want to see them prove it during conference play and compete for something come late February and into March..

My personal opinion on what we have going well..First time in years we have a talented guy playing PG that actually resembles what a good PG should do. JB hasn't been perfect, but he is playing more like a floor general than ever before. We have two guys flanking him who can go for 25 on any given night and are true floor spacers. We have two frontcourt FR who are getting better by the week and while they still have flaws, can make big time winning basketball plays for us. And we have depth at the guard position. Cam has had some good spells and I'm a big fan of the energy Washington brings.

What is still worrisome is the lack of post depth and consistent defensive effort. Agbo is still a big project. Would hate to see his +/- from Sat. Cobie has a bright future, but is still struggling a majority of the time..Playing more like most true FR usually do 2 months into their careers. He has got to be less nonchalant with the ball when he takes it out or gets a rebound. Williams is hurt and is always a big ?? on what you're getting effort wise. BK is what he is..10-15 mins. off the bench he does a nice job, ask more of him and we have some issues. That puts a ton of pressure on the young bucks to play well and stay out of foul trouble.

The defensive effort has been better the past handful of games, but until you see it for long stretches too many of these guys have been around when we have played poorly on that side of the ball to feel comfortable. This goes back to the whole it's ok to be very encouraged with what you're seeing , yet hesitant to be confident that we can sustain it.

IMO I lean far more on that side of positives than the negatives. I think this group is different from years past..But we'll see what transpires. Kills me the amount of people that won't enjoy any part of a basketball season due to their hatred of the HC.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Southgrad07 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 834 Posts
    The defense has definitely been better the last few games. We're still not where we need to be, but anyone who hasn't seen improvement on that end is blind. We are no longer lacking effort on the defensive end, maybe just execution and lack of athleticism at times. If you watched overtime in this game you saw a team who was determined on defense. The "want to" will get us far if we keep that up. The offense has actually gotten better, too, but we were always pretty decent offensively. I'm firmly in the camp of guarded optimism.

We've all watched so much bad, even miserable basketball the last few years. I'm going to relish the positives while we wait to play two very beatable teams to finish the non-con.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrokerZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeTop View Post
    It's less than 24 hours until tip-off and I have to wonder...

Can we get over the .500 hump for the first time this season? YES!
    How affected by Love's injury (and absence) will the Raiders be? I think his absence had and will have a major impact on this team.
    Can we have a second game in a row in which we have fewer than 5 turnovers? NOPE!
    Can we have a fifth game in a row in which we we have at least 10 assists? Yes.
    Will we remain undefeated all-time vs Wright State? YES.
    Can we stay out of foul trouble on the road? Mmmm, mostly. Tre and Jake had 4 each.
    Which of our newcomers and freshmen will have the biggest impact on this game? TRE!
    Can the Raiders contain Tyreke? Well, he didn't have a good game, but did they contain him? Debatable. They would argue, yes.
    Can the Raiders defend against our 3-point shooting? 9 threes at 40% shooting, that's a no.
    Has Christian Williams health improved enough to play in this game? That's a no.
    Can we PLEASE win our fifth game in a row?!?!??!
    YES!

A 7-4 non-con record is now very possible!
    NO EXCUSES

Thanks
    How is it "debatable" that they contained Key?? The only other possible argument is that he contained himself... But I'm not going to put it on his shoulders. He tried to score and he didn't. He tried to create and he turned it over. I'd say maybe a little of both but he was contained no matter how you spin it.
    Roll Timber!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    How is it "debatable" that they contained Key?? The only other possible argument is that he contained himself... But I'm not going to put it on his shoulders. He tried to score and he didn't. He tried to create and he turned it over. I'd say maybe a little of both but he was contained no matter how you spin it.
    Why I say it's debatable is because I'm not sure that his shooting struggles were all because of the WSU defense. Or that his turnovers were all caused by the WSU defense. He had nine rebounds...definitely not contained there. Five assists, pretty solid.

But yes, if I were to go back and watch the game again and see that all of his shots were contested, and not just missed shots. And/or that all of his turnovers were effected by the defense and not just his own mishandles or miscues, then of course, he was contained by the Raiders.

But I'm not gonna go back and watch the game again. So, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt of just having a bad game. But, he may have been contained. It's debatable.
    NO EXCUSES

Legend
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    I thought they did a good job of stopping his penetration and not fouling. That's ok. Look how many times they let JB get in the lane and Neese open.
    The good thing is they couldn't plug all of the leaks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeTop View Post
    Why I say it's debatable is because I'm not sure that his shooting struggles were all because of the WSU defense. Or that his turnovers were all caused by the WSU defense. He had nine rebounds...definitely not contained there. Five assists, pretty solid.

But yes, if I were to go back and watch the game again and see that all of his shots were contested, and not just missed shots. And/or that all of his turnovers were effected by the defense and not just his own mishandles or miscues, then of course, he was contained by the Raiders.

But I'm not gonna go back and watch the game again. So, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt of just having a bad game. But, he may have been contained. It's debatable.
    Ya I think other than him getting free for a couple open shots early - that he missed that they did a good job on him. He didn't do much of anything dribble drive like he usually does. I think the officials probably contained him a little bit as well with as much contact as they were allowing. They wouldn't call a defender for riding the guy dribbling the ball but they most certainly would call a big for illegal screen.

It wasn't really up for debate was my point. Key needs to score for this team to be effective! That was a game that could have gone either way but it probably shouldn't have been that close. If Key has an even okay afternoon we're up 5 to 10 points late in that game. I'm good with the rebounds and assists - a guy is on the floor as much as Key or anyone else for that matter they're going to put up some stats. He's farrrr too gifted to always just let the game kind of come to him. That all said - he's allowed to have an off night so we will chalk it up as that.
    Roll Timber!

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Still enjoying the 5th consec win, regardless of who the beat

Congrats to JB, he's now at 1,307 career points -- he passed both Don McDonald, a player only octogenarians & nonagenarians will remember and Michael Menser, he sits at #14 on the career scoring list; Ray Goddard is #13 (1,321)

JB remains #3 on the 3-point list, 46 treys will push him past Menser for #1
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!