Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Register to remove this advertisement
    This is why I have complained about our scheduling. One of the big problems is that we wait too long before making a schedule. As long as we are in the MVFC we need to be playing 1 FBS, and 2 OVC (or other FCS) schools (h&h) in an 11 game season. If we have to schedule these games out 3 of or 4 years in advance then so be it. It seems like we wait up to a year before the next season starts and then we get stuck playing D2 schools.

However you could argue that 100k to play a Pioneer League school is 1/40th of the budget we spend on our program each year so we should be able to find the money to bring one of those teams in. Personally I would rather see us play home and homes than paying teams to come in. EIU and SEMO are the two schools we should be trying to schedule every year in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    On a similar note, I did some digging and discovered some interesting PFL tidbits. As it turns out, they’ve figured out they are a valuable buy for other FCS schools. They count as a D-1 win for playoff considerations and they’re seen as an easy out since they’re non-schollie (though this isn’t always the case as we saw by losing to Dayton and the Y losing to Butler). So they’ve upped their ante. Butler, Dayton, et al used to want 30-40k to play. Now it’s to the point where you need to have AT LEAST a 100k offer or Butler won’t even talk to you. It was reported we paid Dayton 80k to come over and their price is going up. Apparently supply and demand and Econ 101 theories are a real thing.

So, like many other things in ISU Athletics, we can’t afford it—or at least it’s getting harder and harder to afford it. And if there’s no other D-1 teams available for a home and home on your open date (or a really cheap bottom level FCS team we could afford)—down to D 2 or 3 or NAIA you must go.
    That's why you don't buy them. They're the same level as us, so give them a home-and-home if one will go for that. Then go wipe them off their own field and, in the case of Butler, make it a big even for the huge amount of Sycamore alumni in the area.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    That's why you don't buy them. They're the same level as us, so give them a home-and-home if one will go for that. Then go wipe them off their own field and, in the case of Butler, make it a big even for the huge amount of Sycamore alumni in the area.
    Love the idea but where is Butler’s motivation to do so? I just looked for 2020 and Butler, Valpo, Drake, and Dayton all play at an MVFC or OVC opponent this fall. Probably each getting around or over 100k. I doubt they’d want to zero that out with a home and home.

At the high end, NDSU is spending a quarter mil each on their 2021 buy games to bring in Drake and Albany. That’s a salty payday that ISU probably can’t compete with. I mean, you’re getting close to amounts WE take to go to an FBS school. Crazy.

I assume all the Dakota schools will be similarly willing to pay premium dollars for PFL teams as well as they all consider themselves in an arms race with each other football-wise.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/spo...tball-schedule
    Last edited by Hooper; 02-08-2020 at 01:10 PM.

SEMO is doing a home and home series with Dayton. They did one against each other just a few years ago as well. I think South Dakota and Drake did a home and home not long ago or at least I assume they did. I can't imagine Drake paid USD to come to Des Moines.

All-Conference
    Yep it can be done and I hope we do get home and homes with Butler or Valpo to bring out Indy or Region/Chicago alums. Note Youngstown is paying Dayton 115k in 2022. And it appears the buy amounts are doing nothing but going way up, up, up. I hope we can compete with our peers in this apparent PFL bidding war.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fbsched...-schedule/amp/
    Last edited by Hooper; 02-08-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Role Player
    Sampson James is transferring from IU I'm hoping we can pick him up. Starting quality running back.

Sixth Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingoman View Post
    Sampson James is transferring from IU I'm hoping we can pick him up. Starting quality running back.
    It would be greater if we got both James and Ramsey:)

BTW, rememebr James's brother, Matthew James, was in Mallory's first recrujting class, big DT it's tooo bad he only last 1 yr.
    https://gosycamores.com/sports/footb...hew-james/4568

2020 Non Conf MVFC Schedules

ILST= @ILL, EIU, Dixie State
    ISU= @EIU, @MID TN, Lindenwood
    MSU= @OKLA, Montana, @Tarleton State
    UND= VALPO, @ KS ST, @ Portland St
    NDSU= @OREGON, DRAKE, NC A&T
    UNI= @IOWA, @ID ST, WEBER
    USD= @ IA ST, @ N AZ, Dixie St
    SDSU= Butler, @Nebraska, Tarleton St
    SIU= @UTM, @WIS, SEMO
    WIU= N ALAB, @EWU, @OK ST
    YSU= @AKRON, DUQUESNE, EKU

So of course we are the only school in the conference where scheduling D1 games is too difficult. Yes Tarleton St and Dixie St are now D1. I even looked at OVC schools and TN ST is the only OVC school to schedule a non D1 and of course it is on the same day we play Lindenwood.

We probably have the best chance of making a FBS upset, but SDSU and YSU could probably pull one off too. NDSU should not beat Oregon, but knowing them they probably will.

As for way too early predictions. I think NDSU, UND, UNI, ILST, SDSU, and SIU will all be playoff contenders. Which of course by the time we all beat each other up we will get 3 or 4 teams into the playoffs. We will probably go 7-4 and get left out because of our D2 game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sycamorefan96 View Post
    2020 Non Conf MVFC Schedules

ILST= @ILL, EIU, Dixie State
    ISU= @EIU, @MID TN, Lindenwood
    MSU= @OKLA, Montana, @Tarleton State
    UND= VALPO, @ KS ST, @ Portland St
    NDSU= @OREGON, DRAKE, NC A&T
    UNI= @IOWA, @ID ST, WEBER
    USD= @ IA ST, @ N AZ, Dixie St
    SDSU= Butler, @Nebraska, Tarleton St
    SIU= @UTM, @WIS, SEMO
    WIU= N ALAB, @EWU, @OK ST
    YSU= @AKRON, DUQUESNE, EKU

So of course we are the only school in the conference where scheduling D1 games is too difficult. Yes Tarleton St and Dixie St are now D1. I even looked at OVC schools and TN ST is the only OVC school to schedule a non D1 and of course it is on the same day we play Lindenwood.

We probably have the best chance of making a FBS upset, but SDSU and YSU could probably pull one off too. NDSU should not beat Oregon, but knowing them they probably will.

As for way too early predictions. I think NDSU, UND, UNI, ILST, SDSU, and SIU will all be playoff contenders. Which of course by the time we all beat each other up we will get 3 or 4 teams into the playoffs. We will probably go 7-4 and get left out because of our D2 game.

How long is the div II to div I transition? I know it used to be a 3-yr process and wasn't "complete" until year 3; so won't any potential wins by the dakota schools vs. dixie and tarleton be vs div ii schools, not div i?
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!

Register to remove this advertisement
    I looked it up and it says it takes 4 years to fully transition from D2 to D1. I do know that they will both count as a D1 win for whoever plays them, similar to how North Alabama and LIU counted for everyone last season. The reason everyone is scheduling Dixie and Tarleton is because they are viewed as an easy D1 win. However in the case of North Alabama last season; Western Illinois and Southern Utah quickly found out that they weren't so easy.
    Last edited by Sycamorefan96; 03-26-2020 at 03:53 PM.