Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!

Terre Haute is shrinking

Register to remove this advertisement
    Terre Haute projected to decease by 5.4% over next 30 years...

https://indianaeconomicdigest.com/Co...d/31/237/98904
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!

J-O-B-S and more specifically, higher paying jobs.

Figure that out and it will work out. You have 4 colleges sitting there churning out kids and pretty much everyone leaves because they wouldn't be able to afford their student loans if they stayed. The fact that RHIT hasn't founded more tech firms there blows my mind. I worked in their incubator back when I was a senior on a dotcom venture and I figured it would have taken off. Again, just blows my mind.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Jobs fix a whole lotta problems and as you say higher paying jobs

Still recall a prof at ISU stating that Terre Haute is old railroad and brewing town that hasn't survived the death of the railroads or Prohibition

Always see a new retail spot/outlet when i'm in Terre Haute but retail isn't going to fix the issue

Some new grads are always going to leave after finishing school but better, more jobs would keep more of them

Starter
    What gets me is the article refers to comments by IU’s Kelly School of Business and also Ball State.
    What about our own Scott School of Business?
    What do they have to say about the Terre Haute community? Have they made any studies or recommendations?
    Or do they simply rely on a business professor from Ball State to tell them what’s going on under their noses?
    Don’t you think the Terre Haute community would appreciate some professional advice from their hometown university?
    I know the city and ISU aren’t on the best of speaking terms, so you don’t have to mention the Hulman Center fiasco.
    Has that situation improved since Curtis hit town? Or does ISU have enough of its own problems to worry about?

Quote Originally Posted by WOZ View Post
    What gets me is the article refers to comments by IU’s Kelly School of Business and also Ball State.
    What about our own Scott School of Business?
    What do they have to say about the Terre Haute community? Have they made any studies or recommendations?
    Or do they simply rely on a business professor from Ball State to tell them what’s going on under their noses?
    Don’t you think the Terre Haute community would appreciate some professional advice from their hometown university?
    I know the city and ISU aren’t on the best of speaking terms, so you don’t have to mention the Hulman Center fiasco.
    Has that situation improved since Curtis hit town? Or does ISU have enough of its own problems to worry about?

Exactly -- that linked story is from the Trib-Star, Mark Bennett did the reporting

Perhaps in all of "non-classroom" work the Scott CoB completes; none of it falls into the types of studies that occur at the "institutes" mentioned...

though SURELY there's 1-3 Econ profs at State and or their Business prof peers who Bennett could have contacted
    Last edited by 4Q_iu; 03-17-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Legend
    What really hurts is most of the bigger companies with the better paying jobs are gone. The downtown has been revitalized. The city, in many ways, looks better than it ever has, and yet the community isn't thriving.
    Fear the Trees!

Quote Originally Posted by bent20 View Post
    What really hurts is most of the bigger companies with the better paying jobs are gone. The downtown has been revitalized. The city, in many ways, looks better than it ever has, and yet the community isn't thriving.
    The city looks 100x better than it has ever looked.

The problem, at least as I see it, is in the way "capitalism" is setup and operates these day. Companies want you to give them money via tax breaks and other incentives to move into town and then end up hiring a lean workforce and automating a ton. That is what happened with Amazon and giants that opened distro hubs, for example. They have plans to further ramp that up.

That is why I pointed to the RHIT incubation hub. They need to find a way to found and grow more organically. It would behoove the leadership from all of the schools to get together and create a singular business development program and center IMO. There is land in Terre Haute where they could build and subsidize it. Give these kids space to found and grow a businesses. I'm sure you form some sort of agreement that they stay in Terre Haute for X number of years, they get X% of the business, etc.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    The city looks 100x better than it has ever looked.

The problem, at least as I see it, is in the way "capitalism" is setup and operates these day. Companies want you to give them money via tax breaks and other incentives to move into town and then end up hiring a lean workforce and automating a ton. That is what happened with Amazon and giants that opened distro hubs, for example. They have plans to further ramp that up.

That is why I pointed to the RHIT incubation hub. They need to find a way to found and grow more organically. It would behoove the leadership from all of the schools to get together and create a singular business development program and center IMO. There is land in Terre Haute where they could build and subsidize it. Give these kids space to found and grow a businesses. I'm sure you form some sort of agreement that they stay in Terre Haute for X number of years, they get X% of the business, etc.

Seems like we're growing closer to the Jetsons model of employment... George would complain about his 4-hr work day, go to work and mash a button to have robots do the actual work

amazon is a black hole wrt "tax breaks" or incentives or "legal kickbacks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q_iu View Post
    Seems like we're growing closer to the Jetsons model of employment... George would complain about his 4-hr work day, go to work and mash a button to have robots do the actual work

amazon is a black hole wrt "tax breaks" or incentives or "legal kickbacks
    Yeah, it's pretty crazy.

I interviewed recently for a new mega resort that is (err, was) slated to open in 2021. They planned on running the entire IT show with a very small staff and I'd have been running my job solo on a 21m square foot property with tech everywhere. Their goal was to automate anything and everything that could be. Damn near every industry is trending that way.
    Last edited by Jason Svoboda; 03-20-2020 at 11:44 AM.