Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Benchwarmer
    Thanks

Distance Coach Kyle Walsh let go

Register to remove this advertisement
    Speaking of firing or letting go, Coach Walsh was let go on Friday. For the success he has had and being an alum why would they get rid of him? Would you really entrust anyone at ISU to hire in a bball coach when they are letting go of a successful one? Social media has exploded tonight. alums (including Kurt Wayton, Al Escalera, John Mascari, and Brooke Moore) have posted their disgust in this decision. many have been changing their profile pics to pictures with coach walsh.

John Mascari post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Brooke Moore post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Al Escalera post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Kurt Wayton post: https://www.facebook.com/10000136935...696654382/?d=n
    Last edited by NancyNewton; 03-22-2020 at 02:29 AM. Reason: more info

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyNewton View Post
    Speaking of firing or letting go, Coach Walsh was let go on Friday. For the success he has had and being an alum why would they get rid of him? Would you really entrust anyone at ISU to hire in a bball coach when they are letting go of a successful one? Social media has exploded tonight. alums (including Kurt Wayton, Al Escalera, John Mascari, and Brooke Moore) have posted their disgust in this decision. many have been changing their profile pics to pictures with coach walsh.

John Mascari post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Brooke Moore post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Al Escalera post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Kurt Wayton post: https://www.facebook.com/10000136935...696654382/?d=n
    What was the reason/rationale given? I haven't found the public release regarding it?
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!

Thanks
    Jason ..... you think this Coach Walsh move could have its own topic? Looks like it might deserve one?
    When I was a player, I didn't expect my teammates to play the way I did. I did expect them to work hard every day and get better. Ė Larry Bird

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    How successful was he as a cross country coach?

Benchwarmer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsons View Post
    How successful was he as a cross country coach?
    From Al Escalera's post on facebook:

Not sure. They fired the sprints coach after he coached the school record holder in the 100m and did a great job with his group of athletes. Seems like the leadership there has no idea what they’re doing and undeserving of their position. Some people do not have the qualities to be head coaches. That seems to be the obvious situation at ISU at the moment

AND

I just don’t understand how the two most successful event coaches in the last 3 years are let go. The only team title since coach’s passing is the 2017 Men’s XC title under Coach Walsh! Other than that it’s been 3rd and 4th places at indoors and outdoors.The head coach should add up the points scored by event coaches since 2017 and fire that person oh wait...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,928 Times in 3,578 Posts
    All I ask is that whomever discusses this topic, make sure you keep things professional. Don't sling arrows because that will just make it look like an emotional reaction or misdirection of the actual issue(s).

That said, provided it wasn't for something serious, you'd hope whomever he reports up to had set expectations every year and he just missed them. If he was let go without warning, that is unfortunate. I'd assume he has a contract that pays out until the end of the school year?

I don't pretend to know track and C&C stuff as I defer to our site experts Twitch and ISUCC, but I'd imagine the job carries the same expectations as any coach: 1) win at a reasonable clip, 2) recruit well and develop your athletes; and 3) have quality people that stay out of trouble and graduate. That said, have any of the track/XC programs done well recently? I feel like any time either of those guys talked about the program it was about had the team had regressed in recent years?
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,554 Times in 2,087 Posts

I really donít feel comfortable commenting on personnel issues in general - especially in this situation. Kyle was my teammate and roomate. The timing of all this is tough for Kyle but heís got tons of relationships in and out of the industry - he will land on his feet and grow from this in time. I hate it for him and his family theyíve been nothing but good to me.

Iíve known the Martins (Jeff and Angie) since Jeff was my HS coach and Jeff and Angie both my college coach. Theyíre good friends of my family and Iíve worked closely with them and the program since I left. Although Iíve distanced myself a bit from my working with meets etc. in the past couple years - priorities and life change a bit once you get married.

I too was friends with John McNichols obviously and John Gartland. A lot of former athletes can make that claim. Anyone trying to follow in the footsteps of those guys is going to fall short - if that is the standard then most everyone will fail. Youíre following a legendary resume!

Now with all that said Iím not picking a side... Iím picking to support the program if that looks like me picking the Martins side then so be-it. At the end of the day coaches come and go - itís a tough business being a college coach. The program will always be here. Iíve done a lot of different things to try and help the program since I left. Iím here in TH and that alone makes it pretty easy. I think giving back is important so that is why Iíve done what I have. Many have done much much more than me in giving back.

A lot of people are upset about it and they might elect not to support the program any longer because of that. They have to deal with that - I canít worry about that and will not let that emotion impact my decision on what is right.

As for the ďcauseĒ again believe what you want to believe... The posts cited above have plenty of opinion/information in them. Iím not going to refute or support anything that has been posted. A lot of those guys are former teammates of mine as well - I aint going to fight them on something that has emotionally bent them in some way.

I had great coaches and friendships while at Indiana State and the program as a whole was very successful. I was more of a super utility guy during my 4 yrs that was able to score some conference championship pts to help our cause - I wasnít great or anything haha... But I give all of the credit to my running career to:

Frank Jovi
    Jeff Martin
    John Gartland
    John McNichols
    Angie Martin
    Geoff Wayton

And a good strength and conditioning program. I was fortunate and for that reason I will continent to support the program when and where I can. I wish Kyle and the Martins nothing but the best - this was hard on a lot of people and Iím glad Iím not a college coach.

Stay well my friends. Stay well.
    Last edited by SycamoreStateofMind; 03-22-2020 at 08:44 PM.
    Roll Timber!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post:

Benchwarmer
    Thanks
    Kurt Wayton posted this to facebook:

This is where I had pasted Kurt's letter.

Kurt posted this today to facebook:

Out of respect for the McNichols family I'm removing the letter and letting it work through the intended channels. I can understand if the family doesn't want their father's name dragged through this. It obviously wasn't my intention. My intention is to get justice for a fellow Sycamore who has been unequivocally wronged.
    Last edited by NancyNewton; 03-23-2020 at 01:19 PM. Reason: updated info

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyNewton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Question for SSOM,

is track and CC coaching like fb and bb where everyone knows everyone and once you are IN you may switch schools but you are probably going to be employed most of your career. also, are the assistant coaches full time or do they have other jobs outside of the school.

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,554 Times in 2,087 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by niklz62 View Post
    Question for SSOM,

is track and CC coaching like fb and bb where everyone knows everyone and once you are IN you may switch schools but you are probably going to be employed most of your career. also, are the assistant coaches full time or do they have other jobs outside of the school.
    Most of the coaches are full time - but some of the assistant coaching positions are more like k-12 teaching salaries. My wife is a teacher itís not an insult - just a fact. Itís a tough business to cut your teeth in.

When you consider. Cross Country. Indoor Track and Outdoor Track. Along with recruiting schedules... Itís a net a loss no matter if youíre a HC or an assistant. You aint in this profession for the money I can assure you!

That sort of answers your other questions as most donít have time to have part time jobs.

But yes - as long as youíve got a good reputation and are willing to relocate you can find a landing spot. He should be just fine as far as that goes.

Itís just divided an alumni base that was pretty tight nit all things considered. But the comments by Kurt Wayton and others really do nothing but hurt the program and strain relationships. John McNichols own son weighed in on the issue by commenting on Waytonís post - about how upset he would be by sharing that letter publicly... But whatever whatís done is done.
    Last edited by SycamoreStateofMind; 03-23-2020 at 10:36 AM.
    Roll Timber!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post: