'23 INTL PF Augustinas Kiudulas (7/28/2023)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I hope his game translates well. It would be nice to get a potential international pipeline going. Interesting that he will be a 20 y.o. freshman. Doesn't seem super explosive, but, didn't shy away from driving his defender into the paint in the highlights. All taken with a large grain of salt without a good gauge of how the competition compares and the simple fact that these are his "highlights".

I wouldn't plan on seeing him much this season and possibly not at all. There are too many barriers in my opinion. First Language and culture barrier. Second International to US game play differences, third learning and understanding the Schertz system. Fourth getting here and on campus. Those all total a big up hill climb. Then you have a poor track record of European players throughout all of college basketball staying and not going back home to play where they can make money and be in their home surroundings unless they are a P-5 superstar.

I wouldn't plan on seeing him much this season and possibly not at all. There are too many barriers in my opinion. First Language and culture barrier. Second International to US game play differences, third learning and understanding the Schertz system. Fourth getting here and on campus. Those all total a big up hill climb. Then you have a poor track record of European players throughout all of college basketball staying and not going back home to play where they can make money and be in their home surroundings unless they are a P-5 superstar.
enjoy ..... don't be a "Negative Nellie" .... wtf?

Shouldn't be that difficult to get to campus. He can take a ship from Europe to NY then take the train the rest of the way. Get off the train at the depot north east of campus.

Based on the highlights it looks like he'll be used to playing in mostly empty arenas :ROFLMAO:.

I'm not sure how anyone on here can make an accurate prediction on how a recruit will do here unless they transferred in from another D1 school. If he turns out to be good I'm sure he'll be getting some phone calls from some of the regional Big Ten schools in a couple of years.

Based on the highlights it looks like he'll be used to playing in mostly empty arenas :ROFLMAO:.

I'm not sure how anyone on here can make an accurate prediction on how a recruit will do here unless they transferred in from another D1 school. If he turns out to be good I'm sure he'll be getting some phone calls from some of the regional Big Ten schools in a couple of years.
If any of our recruits or even our coach does good that indicates success in our program. Unavoidable when you are good but like to enjoy the success when it is happening. What is the alternative .... get a coach or recruits that no one else wants? Already been that route with a few coaches.

He doesn't have enough vertical for high major.

I'm not sure how anyone on here can make an accurate prediction on how a recruit will do here unless they transferred in from another D1 school.
That's correct. But we can speculate. On the other hand, I think there have been many pretty accurate predictions on here.

I hope his game translates well. It would be nice to get a potential international pipeline going. Interesting that he will be a 20 y.o. freshman. Doesn't seem super explosive, but, didn't shy away from driving his defender into the paint in the highlights. All taken with a large grain of salt without a good gauge of how the competition compares and the simple fact that these are his "highlights".
Agree with this. He seems pretty limited vertically, but he moves pretty well laterally and looks to have good ball handling skills and the ability to lower his shoulder and drive to the rim. He also looks to have decent court vision.

I remember seeing Robbie’s high school highlights and thinking kind of the same thing; a limited athlete that just finds ways to get it done. Augustinas may he similar in that regard.

I make a habit of not judging a prospect by his highlight video and I’m not going to break form here…

We had an open scholarship - ✅

We needed another body that could do some work on the inside off the bench - ✅

When you have a player like Robbie who showed some wear and possible injury concerns late last year you 💯 want to get an insurance policy on your best player - ✅

Okay will slightly break form here but it’s pretty obvious he fits the JS system in that he’s a big who handles the ball, likes to get downhill and catches at the perimeter. If he’s any good at those things we will just wait and see during live fire but I will give him a chance - ✅

Went the international route to just sort of dip our toes in that water… If we have some success maybe it opens some doors for us in the future - ✅

And lastly low risk high reward type of a move here. They didn’t bring him into start they brought him in as a depth piece & an insurance policy. Nothing to lose and everything to gain if he can ball - ✅

Agree with this. He seems pretty limited vertically, but he moves pretty well laterally and looks to have good ball handling skills and the ability to lower his shoulder and drive to the rim. He also looks to have decent court vision.

I remember seeing Robbie’s high school highlights and thinking kind of the same thing; a limited athlete that just finds ways to get it done. Augustinas may he similar in that regard.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts after watching the vids. Not often you watch a highlight video and no dunks! Does seem to move well for his size and handles the ball well. Seems to be a plus passer (or at least avg). Jump shot is interesting. Not going to blow you away as an athlete but seems to know his strengths and weaknesses and looks like he has a lot of experience and solid bball IQ

If nothing else I can see how he could fit into a JS system.

Back