'23 KS SG Eli Shetlar (Transferred to Drake)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Does a kid like this wait to see if St Louis has room and then possibly return to ISU if they don't? It would be interesting to know if the staff is still reaching out to guys like this.

Does a kid like this wait to see if St Louis has room and then possibly return to ISU if they don't? It would be interesting to know if the staff is still reaching out to guys like this.
I’ve sure they’ve moved on from him. They’ve got eyes on bigger prizes

His sister signed to play for Oral Roberts next year, so that’s maybe a stronger possibility. Good list.
Not sure why any of these schools would be more attractive to him than ISU. Really hope he remains a Sycamore. Oral Roberts is in the Horizon League for gods sake. IU INDY can not draw over 300 fans to the State Fair Coliseum, and I'll bet attendance at other schools is only slightly better. Drake might be attractive since the entire team left when Devries went to West Virginia, but I still don't get it. I asked in an earlier thread when the portal closes on May 1st, when is the time up for these players like Shelter to declare where they are going? Isn't early practice starting around the end of June??

Not sure why any of these schools would be more attractive to him than ISU. Really hope he remains a Sycamore. Oral Roberts is in the Horizon League for gods sake. IU INDY can not draw over 300 fans to the State Fair Coliseum, and I'll bet attendance at other schools is only slightly better. Drake might be attractive since the entire team left when Devries went to West Virginia, but I still don't get it. I asked in an earlier thread when the portal closes on May 1st, when is the time up for these players like Shelter to declare where they are going? Isn't early practice starting around the end of June??
Early June I’m pretty sure. This is the world’s biggest game of musical chairs, and a ton of people will be left standing when the music stops.

I’ve given up hope on this one. Must not have liked the school or the city. It happens. Hoping we find quality replacements.

Last edited:
I don’t believe the players have a deadline for committing.

1. May 1st is the deadline for the portal to close meaning you can’t enter the portal after that point.
2. There is no deadline to commit technically.
3. It was schools interested in Eli not the other way around.
4. Some transfers are not always just basketball related.
5. He had his reasons to enter the portal and it would be on Coach Graves and the staff to eliminate the concerns he had if we want him back. If they do he probably comes back. If they don’t he will move on.

Oral Roberts is actually in the Summit League, not the Horizon, but your point about attendance stands.
Yes, I stand corrected. Forgot that Oral Roberts moved to the Summit League. Thought for sure that I saw the Oral Roberts Banner still hanging in the State Fair Coliseum at the last few Indy Fuel games I attended. If you look at the list of schools and compare the Summit League to the Horizon League, the Horizon has a list of much stronger men's basketball program's. Looking at the standings for 23-24 Oral Roberts was 12-19 overall and only won 3 conference games. Following his sister would be a big step down from STATE.

Yes, I stand corrected. Forgot that Oral Roberts moved to the Summit League. Thought for sure that I saw the Oral Roberts Banner still hanging in the State Fair Coliseum at the last few Indy Fuel games I attended. If you look at the list of schools and compare the Summit League to the Horizon League, the Horizon has a list of much stronger men's basketball program's. Looking at the standings for 23-24 Oral Roberts was 12-19 overall and only won 3 conference games. Following his sister would be a big step down from STATE.
IUPUI (and IPFW) used to be in the Summit League up until just a few years ago. That's probably when you saw the Oral Roberts banner hanging. I think ORU has been in the Summit (formerly Mid-Continent) for a long time besides a short stint in the Southland in the 2010's before returning back to the Summit.

Forgot that Oral Roberts moved to the Summit League. Thought for sure that I saw the Oral Roberts Banner still hanging in the State Fair Coliseum at the last few Indy Fuel games I attended.
It's entirely possible that nobody thought to update their banners. If you told me that IUPUI has posters in their lobby advertising the 2021-2022 schedule, I'd believe you.

Back