Fudōtokuna: $chertz to $LU

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I listened to his welocome speech at SLU and there was nothing but Uh and Um’s during the entire thing, made it hard to listen to. Hopefully with all that money he can get someone to give him public speaking and PR lessons. By they way do you know why people say Uh and Um during a speech?

It’s also weird how so far no players have followed him to SLU, maybe Robbie? But the bigger thing is do they realize he was a liar too?

2 of our best players to Texas, with all that money SLU has how did that happen?

I'm sure Schertz will do just fine in STL. But he is probably going to have to change up his recruiting philosophy a little. Here, he had to sell under the radar recruits on trusting him, getting PT, team success and building something special; and he delivered. Now that he is going to be after more desirable players where money is already on the table, it's a tougher sell when there are deeper pockets and chances to play on teams where it's almost guaranteed they will make the tournament (like Texas) compared to a 1-2 bid league like the A10.

Schertz thrived on finding that diamond in the rough at LMU and here. I'm sure he will still get them but the move to STL helps him retain those players that develop under him rather than his initial recruits

For sure...that squad was the best in years.

Loved the rocking back and forth thing they did along with the students during intro's...I was looking forward to a sold out Hulman doing that every game next season...
We're gonna need the crowd to get a lot younger and up to date if we want all of Hulman Center Swag Surfin.

I mean at the end of the day - had I / "we" done a better job unpacking his seemingly endless press conferences and interviews it was really always about Josh Schertz and nothing else... All the bull shit about, "everyone pulling in the same direction" and "I'm here to build a program" yadda yadda - all that was bull shit because in the end it was about him moving on from here as quickly as possible. His buddy Graves basically said as much in his presser - Josh wanted to build it and hopefully leave the program to Graves and he did. It wasn't really until the last month or so (after he talked to SLU) that for the first time in his career here he stopped handling some of the post game press conference obligations, handed those over to Graves. Handed some of the JMV interviews to Graves and current players. Had John Sherman remind the press that they could only ask him questions about "the game"... Suddenly the guy who really liked to talk and be front and center didn't want that anymore.

But it was pretty predictable... When you have people write books about you "Born to coach" and then you get a rare College Gameday story and rather than make it about the team they make it about you and your short lived tennis career and then you get The Atlantic story which was basically just a summary of his entire life. The warning signs were right in front of us... I think a lot of us proved to be pretty optimistic people and hope for the best. In doing so, we ignored the warning signs. It was always about the money - NIL money, contract money - it was about the money and some of you predicted that it would be, in the end.

When we talk about this season 10, 15, 20 years from now some people will choose to be thankful for what "he" brought to Indiana State Basketball... I have a different view point on that. Indiana State and Terre Haute had more to do with this than Josh Schertz - because you first started to see this passion in people and a fanbase during the baseball season and you saw that energy in us turning down the Super Regional... I think that was the start of all this. But the community decided to wrap it's arm around this team and these players. Josh Schertz didn't get the restaurants in this community to start opening doors early for basketball games, he didn't have anything to do with the Mayor and businesses collaborating for tailgate parties, he didn't get the business community to adorn windows with Indiana State graphics. We did that as a community - because it's who we are. This passion for Indiana State might have been a surprise to a lot of people but it wasn't for me - I always thought this sort of support was in our community and our alumni.

Because of how it ended - more specifically how he decided to handle it - how he handled the people - how he handled relationships... I will never give him credit for this season. When reminiscing about this season I will not talk about him or think about him - it will be really easy because I will think of how a community, a University and a fanbase all came together at the same time. "WE" were all a much bigger part of this than any one coach and WE will continue to be the biggest part of this moving forward into the future.

Last edited:
The collective Indiana State and Terre Haute communities were PHENOMENAL in their support of the Sycamores...it truly made folks on a NATIONAL stage take notice. Here's hoping that Hulman doesn't revert back to half empty status now that a rebuild and potentially less successful squad takes the floor for the foreseeable future.

I mean at the end of the day - had I / "we" done a better job unpacking his seemingly endless press conferences and interviews it was really always about Josh Schertz and nothing else... All the bull shit about, "everyone pulling in the same direction" and "I'm here to build a program" yadda yadda - all that was bull shit because in the end it was about him moving on from here as quickly as possible. His buddy Graves basically said as much in his presser - Josh wanted to build it and hopefully leave the program to Graves and he did. It wasn't really until the last month or so (after he talked to SLU) that for the first time in his career here he stopped handling some of the post game press conference obligations, handed those over to Graves. Handed some of the JMV interviews to Graves and current players. Had John Sherman remind the press that they could only ask him questions about "the game"... Suddenly the guy who really liked to talk and be front and center didn't want that anymore.

But it was pretty predictable... When you have people write books about you "Born to coach" and then you get a rare College Gameday story and rather than make it about the team they make it about you and your short lived tennis career and then you get The Atlantic story which was basically just a summary of his entire life. The warning signs were right in front of us... I think a lot of us proved to be pretty optimistic people and hope for the best. In doing so, we ignored the warning signs. It was always about the money - NIL money, contract money - it was about the money and some of you predicted that it would be, in the end.

When we talk about this season 10, 15, 20 years from now some people will choose to be thankful for what "he" brought to Indiana State Basketball... I have a different view point on that. Indiana State and Terre Haute had more to do with this than Josh Schertz - because you first started to see this passion in people and a fanbase during the baseball season and you saw that energy in us turning down the Super Regional... I think that was the start of all this. But the community decided to wrap it's arm around this team and these players. Josh Schertz didn't get the restaurants in this community to start opening doors early for basketball games, he didn't have anything to do with the Mayor and businesses collaborating for tailgate parties, he didn't get the business community to adorn windows with Indiana State graphics. We did that as a community - because it's who we are. This passion for Indiana State might have been a surprise to a lot of people but it wasn't for me - I always thought this sort of support was in our community and our alumni.

Because of how it ended - more specifically how he decided to handle it - how he handled the people - how he handled relationships... I will never give him credit for this season. When reminiscing about this season I will not talk about him or think about him - it will be really easy because I will think of how a community, a University and a fanbase all came together at the same time. "WE" were all a much bigger part of this than any one coach and WE will continue to be the biggest part of this moving forward into the future.
You forgot one thing i strongly believe. Schertz would have not gotten half the attention he did if Robbie had not blown up like he did. He rode the media coattail of Robbie all season. He did not make Robbie but Robbie contributed in making Schertz.

Back