NIL funding and college hoops

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Still contend this isn't sustainable.

I think we have a new system within the next 18 months because even power schools are going to run into major funding problems down the road.

There is now some growing talk about non-revenue sports taking on the NCAA and their schools for being treated differently than revenue sports if the revenue sharing model comes to fruition. Participants are going to burn this thing to the ground.

Question on NIL stuff, maybe @Jason Svoboda you may know.

With NIL, you see these collectives offering $xxx,xxx amount to come to the school. Can they write contracts with the players where the NIL rights for that player on goods sold through the collective are able to be kept by the player versus the player getting an additional cut?

Say I go and play for ISU next year and they offer me $50k. Can they say "Hey you're getting $50,000 but all of those shirts that we sell with your face and number on a basketball, or jerseys we sell with your name and number, we keep those funds in the Crossroad Fund. The $50,000 is the upfront payment for all of that."

If so, I definitely feel a little better about still potentially buying individual NIL items on specific players.

Question on NIL stuff, maybe @Jason Svoboda you may know.

With NIL, you see these collectives offering $xxx,xxx amount to come to the school. Can they write contracts with the players where the NIL rights for that player on goods sold through the collective are able to be kept by the player versus the player getting an additional cut?

Say I go and play for ISU next year and they offer me $50k. Can they say "Hey you're getting $50,000 but all of those shirts that we sell with your face and number on a basketball, or jerseys we sell with your name and number, we keep those funds in the Crossroad Fund. The $50,000 is the upfront payment for all of that."

If so, I definitely feel a little better about still potentially buying individual NIL items on specific players.

I don't believe so. It's like that NIL store with the jerseys and other gear. The athletes sign up with them directly on their own. In order to use school IP, the vendor then licenses through the CLC and the school just gets the licensing and royalty fees. I think it's like a couple hundred bucks for the license and 10-15% royalties. I can't recall the specifics when I looked into it a couple years ago but that should be a ballpark.

Does anyone think that those that are donating to Crossroads should be able to find out what we are offering and paying these players? I would really like to know what we offered Ju and Jason.

Does anyone think that those that are donating to Crossroads should be able to find out what we are offering and paying these players? I would really like to know what we offered Ju and Jason.
absolutely - if a donor isn't concerned about how, where your $$ was 'allocated' - why donate?

It wouldn't have mattered what we offered any of them for two reasons:

(1) they were all leaving anyway after the NIT run because value on each one of them went through the roof. Disagree? See the number of them following the head coach which also decided to bolt for more money. They were not loyal to the program and they were obviously not loyal to the coach. Quite frankly, if it wasn't for self-awareness in realizing his own celling - I am not sure Avila would even be following him to SLU because I guarantee he's been thrown $$ figures that SLU hasn't.

(2) we didn't have enough to pay them anyway... We don't have enough NIL money to overspend donor dollars. A lot of these places are overpaying and not being responsible - given our lack of funds the NIL has a responsibility not to overspend those dollars. The most we were going to be able to offer Larry was $100k and a car - that is the most. Given the player interest Graves/NIL never even considered offering another player other than Swope because he's smaller, coming off an injury and likely the most affordable of the five.

I think the last thing I will say as far as transparency is concerned. You will probably see Daughtry and Vorst get some NIL money allocated to them probably in the $5-15k range. Just a reward for being loyal to the program. Probably something similar to Shetler if he decides to come back.

But once I have the specifics on who is getting what I will be glad to share them with contributing SycamorePride forum members.

IU just signed the center from AZ. Rumored that his price was $1.2 mil. Woodson might have gotten a good deal since he has the rep for getting bigs ready for the NBA.

IU just signed the center from AZ. Rumored that his price was $1.2 mil. Woodson might have gotten a good deal since he has the rep for getting bigs ready for the NBA.
If that's "a good deal" for a team that more than likely won't even make the tournament, then I'd hate to know what a bad deal is.

Back