'20 IA PG Masen Miller (Transferred to North Dakota State)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

You're being really kind the way you refer to that team lol. EC was legit. A better team and he challenges for top 5 single season assist mark in my opinion.

By the way, I never knew that the 78-79 team had 3 dudes who's assist numbers that year are in the top 6 for all time single season assists!! DAMN!!
I did not know that but I worked with a non-ISU guy that projected that we would do better in the tournament than expected due to the team's great passing.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I'm excited about his 3pt shooting stats too, but a little perspective...

Tobias Howard Jr (that name ring a bell?), shot 47.51% from 3pt last year for D2 Salem (WV).
I understand the comparison, but Howard also did this at age 24 years old with a ton of experience. Miller is much younger and did this in year one.

FYI, Miller was UNI's Bowen Born's backcourt teammate in AAU with the Iowa Barnstormers. Something to keep an eye on when we match up with the Panthers.

So does his walk-on status imply he’ll be on scholarship starting next year? Unless there are other players preparing to enter that portal, that’s what it means to me.

And for the record, I’m completely fine with pulling players from the D2 ranks. I think it’s better to take the best players from a level down versus trying to take a middling or less than middling player from a P5 school.

For those that need a reminder, Dearon Tucker played decent minutes for a solid Oregon State tournament team two years ago. That didn’t work out so well.

For those that need a reminder, Dearon Tucker played decent minutes for a solid Oregon State tournament team two years ago. That didn’t work out so well.

I saw Tucker walking on campus today. I always wonder if some of the guys finish the semester when they immediately enter the portal.

We’ve talked about depth a lot the past two weeks. It says a lot about our depth the past few years when we have had close to 15 players/recruits either enter the portal or decommit and only ONE has ended up in a better situation (no, I am not counting Tre transferring to an awful Duquesne team as an upgrade).

So does his walk-on status imply he’ll be on scholarship starting next year? Unless there are other players preparing to enter that portal, that’s what it means to me.

And for the record, I’m completely fine with pulling players from the D2 ranks. I think it’s better to take the best players from a level down versus trying to take a middling or less than middling player from a P5 school.

I think he could be on scholarship next year and with so many guys graduating this year it’s one less spot to fill.

I watched him some on Youtube tonight. He goes after loose balls like a piranha. I think he'll get 65% of his 50-50 balls.
Overall, a great addition IMO.

I have little doubt that Masen will be a fan favorite. Between his attitude, shooting ability and scrappy play there is a lot to like.

Last edited:
As I said in the Summer Workouts thread, there’s way too much buzz around Miller for there not to be some potential there.

I have heard at times from folks watching the workouts that Masen has been our best player. Not once, not twice, but multiple times. I think we might have gotten a real steal in this kid. Because we've got some players on this team, and if this kid is outplaying them, that speaks highly of his level...

Seemed like a great team and representative of the university. Good luck to him on his future

Back